With the parish of Carrigtwohill in the throes of profound transformation from a largely agricultural district to substantial urbanisation, the opportunity to present a brief history is timely. Lying at the heart of the Barony of Barrymore in East Cork, the parish comprises 37 townlands and about 10,000 acres. Fringed by the parishes of Cobh, Glounthaune, Lisgoold and Midleton, its northern low-lying hills slope gently southwards to a limestone plain and the sea at Cork harbour.
The foundation stone of the present Catholic Church, St. MARY’S, was laid on the 4th of November 1869, the architect was George Coppinger Ashlin and the church was built from local sandstone by Newstead Builders of Fermoy, at a cost of £2,500. The church was opened and consecrated on 15th. of May 1872. Over the doorway, leading to the nave is the inscription “Do Dhai fo Thearmuin Muire Naomhtha”. The tablet bearing this inscription must have come from the earlier church which must have been on or near the same site. read more….
Priests who served in the Parish of Carrigtwohill. For the years 1450 – 1957 the information was obtained from ‘Cloyne Parish Priests’, author Rev. James Wilson. For the years 1957 to 2010 the information was obtained from Cloyne Diocesan Archives. read more….